left My Tech News Blog: Debian Wireless setup

Friday, November 16, 2012

Debian Wireless setup


Well the other day I have a wireless laptop,it was running windows XP Pro. This is a Dell inspiron 600m which I procured brand new. 

I installed Debian which was easy I downloaded an installer ISO and burned it to a CD.  it installed like a breeze,  only problem I had was the wireless was not working.

I then found out what wireless card I had in it by checking the dell service code to see what was installed

I had the Intel Pro Wireless 2200 so with that in hand I searched google and found what I had to do, I then searched and found I had to make sure the wireless tools were installed to do this and it showed up then I typed in the following command in the terminal.

copy and pasted from another website

sudo apt-get install wireless-tools

the command said wireless tools all ready installed
I then went to the the software center under system / administration
found the ipw2x00 drivers and installed, when finished wireless was now working

0 Comments: